POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : VoidSphinx Nacelle : VoidSphinx Nacelle Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  VoidSphinx Nacelle
From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 26 Nov 2000 22:32:46
Message: <3A21D5CF.2324E9C2@mac.com>
So, I spent most of the weekend tinkering with my nacelles.  I think
watching paint dry would be faster, sometimes.  Anyway, for your
perusal, three views of the port nacelle.

1. This is probably as far as I'm going to take the nacelle, though I
keep kicking around the idea of asymmetrically cutting in the aft end; I
think it looks too blocky back there.  The background is black here, and
yes, I know it's hard to differentiate what is and isn't part of the
nacelle, but this is for a fighter with a low-observability coating;
it's /supposed/ to be hard to see.

2. I read somewhere that Lucasfilm uses a greenscreen technique with
their models, so I goofed around with putting a green background behind
the image.  It works okay, except I imagine if this were the starboard
nacelle, with a green running light, I'd lose the light.  I think the
next thing I'm going to try along these lines is going to be no
background, with an alpha channel, and see what that does for me.

3. A close-up on the decal marking the nacelle.  This one happens to be
from VF-9, the Galaxy Famous Fighting Aardvarks, and belongs to fighter
#106, the Squadron CO's bird.  I like the way this came out, and I wrote
a nifty macro that determines if the nacelle is port or starboard, upper
or lower tier, writes the decal on the appropriate side of the nacelle,
and makes sure it isn't upside down and backwards!  (The same macro also
determines the color of the running lights).

Telling me I suck because it took me all weekend to do this will be
ignored. 8)

--
Dawn McKnight      | "Who cares what the hipbone's connected to? I'm in Neurology!"
McK### [at] maccom   |					-- Justine Devlin, M.D.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'nacelle4.jpg' (7 KB) Download 'nacelle5.jpg' (7 KB) Download 'decal.jpg' (14 KB)

Preview of image 'nacelle4.jpg'
nacelle4.jpg

Preview of image 'nacelle5.jpg'
nacelle5.jpg