POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More on hair : Re: More on hair Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on hair
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 26 Nov 2000 20:00:16
Message: <3A21B220.4001A726@ij.net>
Paul Blaszczyk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how we can make hairs in POV? Polygon model and extruding along a
> spline..other methods?
> How much memory it needs to extrude a circle along a spline?

	Can it be done in the sense of realistic? One hair vice a head of is
smaller than a pixel so it won't render unless close enough.

	What are a hundred thousand hairs on a head that can't be seen?
Actually they could be seen and show up as a mass. Parsing time over the
edge of reality though.

	So then we look at hair on TV and in movies and in fact in daily life
as we don't see individual hairs either for the most part.

	One of my recent failures has been to imitate a 2D graphics trick. The
trick is a 3x300 (to pick a ratio), add noise and then scale it to
300x300. That is the PhotoShop "brushed aluminum" tutorial example.

	Scaling bumps like that doesn't quite seem to work but then a hairy
sphere isn't quite right either. Reflection, specular combinations don't
seem to give the right impression.

	The basics of hair appear to be highlights on a stretched pattern with
highlights but it has to be an interupted highlight so it is not like a
smooth surface highlight.

	But after that, I can't see the least way to get even the simplest
hairstyles right from the hairdresser perfect out of it and then only
women's styles that cover the front hairline with bangs, even if I get
it working.

--
It must be terrible to be bound by the past
or in hopes of the future.