POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in isosurface using pigment function? : Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Nov 2000 09:01:54
Message: <3A1E74D3.242EB1BE@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Warp wrote:

>   I just can't get this to work. Accuracy, method and max_gradient (over 2000)
> have no effect at all. The artifact stays there.
> [...]
> #declare ObjectFunc =
>   function { pigment { boxed color_map { [0 rgb 1][0 rgb 0][1 rgb 0] } } }

It's the old problem of abrupt changes (infinite gradient) in the
isosurface function.  In general the boxed pigment is well suited for
isosurface functions but with your color_map it has the same problem as
object pattern / crackle solid / ...

If you try

function { pigment { boxed color_map { [0 rgb 1][k rgb 0][1 rgb 0] } } }

with 0.1 > k > 0.0 and check the max_gradient values (using eval), this
should become clear.

BTW, the max_gradient with k=0.0 purely depends on the accuracy.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>