POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : problems with hf in mp 6 : Re: problems with hf in mp 6 Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problems with hf in mp 6
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 21 Nov 2000 11:28:35
Message: <3A1AA326.598CF271@aetec.ee>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently rendered an old scene of mine in mp6 and noticed that a hf
> suddenly acquired lots of holes (well, I assume that they're holes). I
> re-rendered the scene in plain 'ol pov and it's fine.
>
> Is this a known problem or should I post more detail (or both)?

Is this hf smooth? In this case try to add double_illuminate to height
field, this should fix this problem. I'm not sure, what causes this, but
I guess, that it is due to normal average between vertexes of smooth
height field: normal gets oriented in "opposite direction" to up and
therefore surface is not lighted.
There was discussion about this, see "Heightfield smooth problem" in
this group, started 2000-06-13.