POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The machine : Re: The machine Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The machine
From: Jérôme M  Berger
Date: 20 Nov 2000 11:28:03
Message: <3A19510E.8805B3D@enst.fr>
Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Very cool.
>
> The circuit board type thing on the left hand side in gradient lighted panel, is
that an image map?  It doesn't seem to line up with
> the perspective of the panel in that its top edge looks correct but the bottom edge
is pointing at a totally different vanishing
> point.  On the other hand I'm making the assumption that it is rectangular with
right angles to begin with.

> There seems to be some real thought to the circuit board thingy.  I notice on the
back wall of the image there are three more of
> them, all different, and there are none on the right hand side.  Control panels of
some sort?
	Yes, I made a macro to generate random control panels (see attached
sample) then I put several of them on the left of each sidewalk.

>  The brick and stone arrangement is
> weird!  The bricks or stones on the back wall seem to be piled up following a curved
surface ... especially where that light is
> mounted on the back right hand side.  I guess that light is surface mounted and its
a sphere because it doesn't have and form to it
> other than a white hole in the image.

	Brick? Stone? I was going for a "concrete" look! The dark areas are
supposed to be wet stains... The light is indeed surface mounted and a
sphere. Something that might be confusing is the fact that the room is
circular

> Ahhh .. with a closer look at the full size png image I see that the golden glow for
those panels left and right of the "reactor -
> star trek thing" are actually reflections.  The otherwise rusty metal becomes smooth
and polished during reflection.  I wonder is
> that a flat surface?  Maybe there is a way to make the same panel surface object
with a large number of patches, each slightly
> deviated from the plane of the panel.  If the patches were small enough ( and you
had massive cpu available ) then a realistic
> looking and reflecting rusty panel may be the result.  Could be an experiment there.

	I'm afraid it's more a problem of memory than cpu: as is, the image
required around 90M of RAM to render...

> Is that light or hot fluid in the pipes?  An RGB reactor that supplies light to a
whole society of render artists living like monks
> amongst the tunnels of some subterranean tunnels.  Post apocalyptic visions of
rendering monks who live underground and create works
> of art with the Light Reactor as the ink source.

	That was sort of the idea :)

> ps: Are the top and bottom of the reactor truncated cones with a CSG subtraction of
cylinders to get the wavy surface?  It doesn't
> quite meet the floor.
	It's an union of truncated cones

> Is that a floor or sand?

	Mmhh, it's just the same concrete texture as the walls...

--

* Abandon the search for truth, * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* Settle for a good fantasy.    * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gauges.jpg' (11 KB)