POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Width of character : Re: Width of character Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Width of character
From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Nov 2000 08:02:11
Message: <3A1920D1.A3972E01@erols.com>
Jessica Bushnaq wrote:

> Especially: Is there a method to get the exact width of a given
> character?

I have only the official version, and here's the code I use to get the
width of text:

// START OF SOMETHING OF POSSIBLE USE

#local W=1; // you'll be tweaking this value

text { ttf "cyrvetic.ttf", // or whatever font you're using
  "My text.",              // change to whatever you're using
  0,
  0
  pigment { rgb <1,0,0> } // to make things obvious
  finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 }
  translate -z*.001
}

plane { -z,0
  pigment { gradient x color_map { [0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1] } scale W }
  finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 }
}

camera {
  orthographic
  location <W,.375,-1>
  look_at <W,.375,0>
}

// END OF SOMETHING OF POSSIBLE USE

You should see an image that is white on the left side and black on
the right, with red text.  Adjust W until the right edge of the text
lies exactly on the border between the black and white areas.  When
this happens, W is either the exact width of the text, or is a simple
fraction (1/2, 1/3, 1/4) of that width; starting with a higher value
and working your way down will give better results.

Hope this helps,
John