POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Width of character : Re: Width of character Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Width of character
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Nov 2000 09:20:35
Message: <3A17E1B3.1E153F0@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> A more flexible(and far simpler) solution would be to use a separate
> text object for every character and use the min_extent() and
> max_extent() functions to get the bounding box for each individual
> character, and use these values to position the characters correctly.

I think that's only partly true, because the nominal width of the
characters (used for positioning them) and the de facto with do not need
to be the same.  I don't know which width is used for the bounding box
(whether all characters in a non proportional font have the same for
example), there can be even overlapping characters (they would not work
with the trace method either) so things are more complicated in fact...

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>