POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iso-waves (53KB) : Re: Iso-waves => Hose Hills (62KB) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso-waves => Hose Hills (62KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 16 Nov 2000 21:02:37
Message: <3A1490DB.52A28FF5@online.no>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>
> > I have enclosed an image that shows some
> > iso-cylinders that I have tried to bend
> > so that they follow the iso-surface below.
> >
> > The problem is that they look like flattened
> > hoses whenever they "move" vertically.
>
> Its' probably in effect a sweep of a vertical circle, not of a sphere. There may
> be some workaround to get a function of distance from the center of the hose,
> but don't look at me!

Yes I agree, and I've been bending my mind to try
to come up with something that will enable me to
do something like a sphere sweep in there.

The problem is that the center of the "hose" does not
lie on a straight line anymore when it is being pushed.

I think that maybe one could try to find the slope and
direction of the line in the region where the current
point is and then try to find the point on that line
that is closest to the current point.

And then (I think) one could sample the "pushing"
pattern in front and behind the point that are used to
decide the "pushing" amount, in order to estimate the
slope.

But again:
My PC is to slow to let me explore this :(

(And I don't feel for doing this right now either :)

Regards,

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom