POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") : Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray")
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 16 Nov 2000 16:07:00
Message: <3A144C71.E4522224@club-internet.fr>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> Hi,
>         I was wondering, what are all the issues a hacker would have to hack my
> computer if he gave me a few files.gif, file.pov and file.ini to render?
>
> I know in the file.ini there are (from man povray)
>        Pre_Scene_Return=return action
>        Pre_Frame_Return=return action
>        Post_Scene_Return=return action
>        Post_Frame_Return=return action
>       User_Abort_Return=return action
>        Fatal_Error_Return=return action
>
> is there such thing in a file.pov? or is there something else in the file.ini???

There has been quite a long thread about this issues a few months
(weeks) ago. Warp and Ron gave good ideas.
IMHO memory and disk consumption are issues.
If you make a scene featuring an infinite loop adding objects to an
union, you will have POV crash after running out of memory.
Unfortunately it is likely that some other processes die to, including
system services.
If you open a file and write to it in an infinite loop, you can fill
your disk completly, which can be harmful in some cases (under Un*x,
filling /tmp or /var can have odd consequences). Even if you suppress
user I/O, one can still decide to render a nearly empty scene (for
speed) at a huge resolution: 65536*65536*24bpp takes 1.5 Gb...

For these reasons I would suggest you use process limitations, such as
ulimit and quotas under Un*x.

--