POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Malfunctioning Post-process - Stars : Re: Malfunctioning Post-process - Stars Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:12:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Malfunctioning Post-process - Stars
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 15 Nov 2000 20:20:04
Message: <3A13363F.C54CDAFB@ij.net>
GrimDude wrote:

> I hate to say it, but that is only going to make things worse. :)

	Correct, it does make things worse. The astronomical scale of the solar
system is too great to render and look realistic.

	If I remember correctly a standard camera lens, about 50mm for 35mm
film which should be roughly the 4/3 aspect, has about a 30 degree
viewing angle. From Earth both the sun and the moon have a 1/2 degree
angular diameter. for a 640 wide image that less than 11 pixels.

http://giwersworld.org/artiii/elevat23.jpg is a to-scale rendering and
that blob is the moon. The blob looks a bit better as rendered rather
than at the jpeg quality used.

	On the recent images I have posted I have cut the earth-moon and
earth-sun distances by about ten with other scales equal. On that scale
a lunar eclipse lasts two days but the moon is on the recognizable side.

	I'll be posting the result of my way of making a sun in binaries in a
few minutes.

--
You know you are a bigot if you wonder what
Jessie Jackson does for a living.