POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blue Mars : Re: Blue Mars Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blue Mars
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 11 Nov 2000 21:19:06
Message: <3A0DFE27.902BF968@home.com>
Hmm sorry but I would have to say either you misunderstood Hawkings or he was
wrong, don't take this as a personal attack. Diamonds can and DID form in earths
crust. What you are talking about is the formation of elements. Now elements are
only formed in nature in extreme conditions, like those at the center of stars
and in super nova, during fusion. Diamond is really just another form, a
crystalline form, of carbon. If you take graphite, yet another form of carbon,
and compress it under sufficiently high pressures and heat for long enough you
WILL get diamond, in fact I just recently watched a NOVA video in my Chemistry
11 class where they were talking about the race to make better man made
diamonds. This does nothing at all to the atoms of carbon, it simply rearranges
them to form new bonds. Atoms of graphite are bonded together tightly in thin
layers, whereas in diamond they are bonded much more rigidly into a crystalline
structure. Also I don't think anyone would argue that gold, and other elements
formed in the earth, at least I hope not, when our earth coalesced out of the
primordial gas, dust and rocks 4 billion years ago it gained all of the elements
that it has ever had, the amount of gold, nickel, carbon etc.. on earth has
changed very little since the beginning, some may have been added from
meteorites, what has happened it that these elements have recombined countless
times since them into new compounds, all life itself is nothing more than the
recombination of elements that were already here.