POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : isosurface/function question : Re: isosurface/function question Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface/function question
From: Ken
Date: 10 Nov 2000 03:26:47
Message: <3A0BB1A8.21D64EBC@pacbell.net>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I also recently had this problem and managed it this way:
>
> #declare rand_seed = seed(0)
> #declare Rnd1 = rand(rand_seed)
> #declare f1 = function { (x + Rnd1)^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 1 }
>
> I think it's just a limitation of the isosurface parser, maybe it could be
> changed, but this way works quite well.

It's not very intuitive however and probably should be changed
at the parser level if at all possible.

One question does arise is how much does a random number do in
a static equation. If you were running it through a loop I could
understand using it but I see no real advantage to it the way
that Ken illustrated it.

--
Ken Tyler