POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cell city (35 kbbu) : Cell city (35 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Cell city (35 kbbu)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 7 Nov 2000 13:46:25
Message: <3A084CA6.BFDE9405@my-dejanews.com>
Here is a city made entirely out of an isosurface based on the cells
pigment. I had presented the problem that in step functions, isosurfaces
tend to give diffuse==0 on the edges of the steps.  When I stumbled
across the web page of Makoto Mukui
(http://www.cs-w.com/~earth/material/isopattern.htm),  I found that he
solved the problem elegantly simply with use of the max_gradient.
(PeteC had shared with us some pretty cool code for making this out of
randomly placed boxes of triangles, but I find the looks of this
isosurface more appealing.)

Now to texture to look like actual buildings, al'a  Batman Beyond...

 #declare F = function { pigment { cells color_map { Map } scale 1/4 }}
    isosurface{
      function { (y-F-1) }
      contained_by{ box { -120, 120 } }
      max_gradient 50