POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Focal blur understanding problem : Focal blur understanding problem Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Focal blur understanding problem
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 7 Nov 2000 10:06:07
Message: <3A081A82.5CF70483@skynet.be>
Here's a simple scene setup, using PP blur :
--------------------------------
#version unofficial MegaPov 0.6;
#include "colors.inc"

camera {location <100,0,0> direction z*1 look_at <0,0,0>}

plane {y,-50 pigment {checker color SteelBlue
                              color YellowGreen scale 20}}

plane {z,-10
 pigment {gradient x
          color_map {[0 White][.5 White][.5 Red][1 Red]}
          scale 20
          }
}

global_settings {
 post_process {
               focal_blur{30, 0, 5, .5}
               }
}

light_source {<400,500,300> White*2}
------------------------------------

The blur start is at 30 units, and the depth is 0.  By reading the
docs, I would assume that nothing would be in focus, but everything
in the front is in focus.  I went to think that blur only worked
behind the start point, well..

But if I change the depth to 1 unit, the result is very different,
much more different that I would expect from a little 1 unit difference.
This may sound incoherent or strange, but the thing is : I don't
understand anything anymore about that focal blur effect !!

So, could someone give me an explanation of what I am seeing, and
explain (with a sample scene, at best) how it actually works ?
(or how to relate what's written in the docs to the visible result !)

Fabien.