POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Diffuse==0 in step functions, problem solved? : Re: Diffuse==0 in step functions, problem solved? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diffuse==0 in step functions, problem solved?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Nov 2000 13:37:24
Message: <3A06FA60.946A2FA5@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> I found this page on the Japanese povray webring.
>
> http://www.cs-w.com/~earth/material/isopattern.htm
>
> There is here the use of the cells pattern in a way that does not give
> diffuse=0 on the edges of step functions.  I will study the source code,
> but the reason why it looks so good hasn't hit me yet.  Any clues?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by diffuse=0 but i suspect you meant the
problems occuring with abrupt steps in the pattern.

You can see in the source code, that the critical patterns all use higher
max_gradient values (20/50) and there are still errors occuring although not
very strong.  On 'isopattern2.htm' they are even better visible.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>