POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu : Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu
From: Paul Daniel Jones
Date: 1 Nov 2000 11:11:32
Message: <3A004103.538C66F3@psu.edu>
I like this a lot, although a smaller image in a *.png might have preserved the
caustics better, but nice.

The Gallilean (sp?) themometer work on density changes of the bulk fluid verses
the fludis in the bulbs. As the temperature rises, the density of a liquid
ideally is reduced. So, as the temperature rise the density of all the liquids
in the thermometer goes down (bulk liquid as well as each bulb), but what is
important is that the rate of change, dp/dT  (p = rho = density g*ml^-1), is
different for each liquid. I forget what the composition of each liquid is (each
bulb has a slightly different composition), but that is how they work.

-paul
Paul Daniel Jones
120 Chandlee Laboratory
Penn State University