POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : gcc-like Povray interface? : gcc-like Povray interface? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  gcc-like Povray interface?
From: Jason Alonso
Date: 25 Oct 2000 20:24:57
Message: <39f779d9@news.povray.org>
I was wondering...

A while ago I worked on a personal project that involved converting some
data files into images and then feeding the images as height-fields into
POV-ray.  I found that the most convenient method of handling this was to
use a Makefile.  So...

What if POV-ray parsed gcc-style command-line options and sources files and
reported errors/warnings in the same manner as an item in the gcc toolchain?
This would also mean (perhaps by an option) suppressing all console output
in the absence of errors.

This would greatly enhance POV-ray for batch processing, as well as allow
POV-ray to be integrated readily into many IDE's.

Is this a feature/design that is worth coming up with an unofficial patch
for?  Is it something worth investigating if POV-ray 4 is open-sourced?

I'm curious as to what people think.

Jason