POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : A Record-Setting Round : Re: A Record-Setting Round Server Time
27 Jul 2024 07:59:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Record-Setting Round
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 24 Oct 2000 23:03:24
Message: <39f64d7c@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote in message <39F049DC.5E951B90@my-dejanews.com>...
>If you look at my posting here under "Frame Size Creates Difficulty..."
7/24/00
>you may find some alternative viewers that may help you until the day we
all
>agree on a standard format.

The verdict on HyperMPEG Player:
Plays only the first 300 frames of "soul.mpg"
Crashes when trying to open "invmix.mpg"
Plays 500 frames of "ant.mpg"

ELECARD MPEG2 Player:
500 frames of "ant.mpg"
Plays all of "invmix.mpg"
Plays all of "soul.mpg"

Cinematograph:
500 frames of "ant.mpg"
All of "soul.mpg"
Opens but does not play "invmix.mpg"

EZMedia:
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!
EZMedia refuses to open any file of any type, giving an error message.  Any
further attempts to do anything with EZMedia (like quit) result in an
infinite series of error messages.

Windows Media Player and ActiveMovie Control:
500 frames of "ant.mpg"
All of "soul.mpg"
All of "invmix.mpg"
Play all files, however, they almost always leave off the last few frames of
any movie.

Display:
500 frames of "ant.mpg"
300 frames of "soul.mpg"
876 frames of "invmix.mpg"
This is a DOS program.  Under DOS, it plays sound.  If Windows is running,
it doesn't.

Quicktime Player 4:
Does not play .mpg movies, but registers the file type as playable by
Quicktime.

I hope this helps people in deciding what viewers to use.
P.S. How long is "ant.mpg"?