POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Estimates of average work times for entries? : Re: Estimates of average work times for entries? Server Time
14 Jun 2024 05:32:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Estimates of average work times for entries?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 23 Oct 2000 10:09:23
Message: <39f44692@news.povray.org>
Robert J Becraft <cas### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> My entries typically have somewhere between 120-200 hours in them when
> submitted.  Alot of my hours are in tweaking parts of the scene, hence my
> code will generally have on/off switches for various features in the render.
> For the final render, all the switches are "off" so that all the objects are
> included.

I'm probably around here too, maybe slightly more time, but then I don't
have the built up libraries of useful objects that I can steal from (not
that Robert does, but many people do).

> Another technique is using a test file and rendering an object till it is
> complete then adding it into the main picture and placing it in the scene.
> You can rack up many hours creating several objects and within a few
> minutes, place them exactly where you want them in the scene.

I created a viewer that takes any object, scales and translates it, then
places it with the 10 views (6 surfaces of the box + 4 angle views) all at
once.  I do almost all of my designing using the viewer, so I can get an
idea of what the object looks like all the way around.  It sped up the
development of the smaller objects (I tend to over-detail) immensely.

Gepff