POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : on the right side I use shampoo "TRACE" : Re: on the right side I use shampoo "TRACE" Server Time
19 Aug 2024 20:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: on the right side I use shampoo "TRACE"
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 18 Oct 2000 10:31:40
Message: <39edb44c@news.povray.org>

> > yes, faster to render but not faster to parse
> Well faster overall anyway...

yes, I agree

> > and I know that it should be faster, but how
> > interpolate sphere_sweeps to mesh ?
> >
> The question here is of course: do you really need the kind of detail
> sphere_sweep would produce? Unless you want to look at your hair from
> very near, you'd be better off with a simple mesh...

but if I want build universal macro not for single use ?
I want create looking good hairs from near and from far distance
I can code this with some "level of details" but what about animations ?
zoomed face has from far mesh and from near sphere_sweeps ?
what about distortion during changing of LOD ?
sphere_sweeps has bounding therefore outside head area they
are rather fast I think
and I think that it needs less memory
each sphere_sweep need 4 centers and 4 radius
(catmull or b-spline) - 4x3+4=16 float values for one hair
mesh ? I think that I need at least 6 smooth_triangles
with coordinates and normals to simulate one hair
it means 6x(3+3)x3=108 float values
at my posted image I use over 25000 hairs

ABX

p.s. I'am not sure in my calculations, I don't know
what exactly sphsweep.c and mesh.c put in memory