POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in glow calculation? : Re: Bug in glow calculation? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in glow calculation?
From: Warp
Date: 18 Oct 2000 07:03:09
Message: <39ed836d@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:
:> Its description sounds like it would define a kind-of bounding sphere.

: No...the "radius" keyword is the closest thing to bounding for glows.

  Oops! You are right. I said "size" but was thinking about "radius". Sorry :)

  But if "size" can't be used, it's even worse. Of course you have to be
able to control the size of the glow.

: Bounding with a sphere would probably be counterproductive...it would
: probably take longer to find the intersection with a sphere than it
: would to calculate the simpler glows

  You don't have to use real ray-sphere intersection test for this. It's
enough to test "how far is this point (the center of the glow) from this
line (the ray we are tracing)? If it's closer than 'radius', then proceed
with glow calculation, else just skip it".
  Calculating the distance between a point and a line is simpler and faster
than calculating the intersection of a line and a sphere.
  It might cause some speed improvement, specially when there are lots of
glows.

  Or does it do this already?

:>   But media is slow and requires a lot more tweaking.

: If you want speed and ease of use, use glows. :-)

  But if they are buggy, the result will not be the one I wanted.