POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Solar Probe (trial run 1) [~186K Mpg] : Re: Solar Probe (cancelled: larger [~543K Mpg]) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar Probe (cancelled: larger [~543K Mpg])
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 16 Oct 2000 09:31:49
Message: <39eb0344@news.povray.org>
Bob H. <per### [at] aolcom?subject=pov-news:%20&body=relating%20to%20pov-ray:%20>
wrote:
> "Geoff Wedig" <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote in message
> | Bob H.
> <per### [at] aolcom?subject=pov-news:%20&body=relating%20to%20pov-ray:%2
> 0> wrote:
> |
> | You know, I was looking at this image again, and I'm not sure the flash
> when
> | the panels separate is right.  I mean, it's basically claiming that the
> | flash is brighter than the sun (or on the same order of magnitude, since
> | otherwise it would be subsumed in the sun image)  Now, that can't be
> right.

> Aw gee, I just knew someone was going to see it that way sooner or later :-(
> While making it I was convincing myself that the gas would turn into a sort
> of ionized plasma (burning?) instantly on contact with the nearby region of
> the Sun.  Not in itself much, but considering the closer proximity to the
> viewer perhaps it would appear bright.  Kind of like arc welding in
> daylight.  I know it looks a lot like a propulsive pulse maybe.  It's only
> supposed to be the coolant between the shell and probe.

> | But it is cool looking.

> Not hot? :-)  I know I'm going to have to come up with much more to this in
> order for it to be worthwhile, as always.  Hopefully I won't ruin it as I go
> along.

Actually, I thought of something.  It may not itself be that bright, but the
light from the sun reflecting off it could be quite bright in itself.  Not
sure how to convey that (maybe a sharp shadow from the segments?  Too close
to the sun for that probably)

I still like it a lot.  And I really like your sun.  The media is gorgous.

Geoff