POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: Paul Vanukoff
Date: 11 Oct 2000 08:47:54
Message: <39e4617a$1@news.povray.org>
"IMBJR" <imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 02:39:54 -0400, "Mark Wagner"
> <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>

> >IMBJR wrote in message <39a7e32d@news.povray.org>...
> >>This news server (news.povray.org) seems to have pretty deep pockets. I
am
> >>currently downloading the entire contents of povray.binaries.images and
> >>noted that the earliest post is from about July 1998. So even if I did
> >>release my material in staged intervals it would all still be available
for
> >>download at some point, leaving the individual browser the option of
> >>downloading in staged intervals. Remember, no one is forcing you to
> >download
> >>these images.
> >

> >This may be a little after the fact, but about three months ago, the
server
> >ran out of space, forcing a number of posts from the povray.binaries.*
> >groups to be expired.
>
> Really? Strange, I could have sworn I have downloaded stuff from
> fairly well back - in fact, just to test I am currently downloading
> something in this group that was appearently posted 4/99 (Squeezer by
> Andrew Cocker) ...
>
> ...yup, downloaded.

So? Note that Mark did not say -all- the posts prior to three months ago
were removed. He said that about three months ago, a -number- of posts were
expired. The articles still do go quite a ways back, but not as far back as
they used to. I think at least the oldest years worth were removed.

--
Paul Vanukoff