POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Agent Powers (506kbu, ooh behave!) : Re: Agent Powers (506kbu, ooh behave!) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Agent Powers (506kbu, ooh behave!)
From: Spock
Date: 7 Oct 2000 10:03:12
Message: <39df2d20$1@news.povray.org>
LISTEN UP KIDS, THIS IS IMPORTANT.  My day job is computer security so I
tend to react strongly to this sort of posting.

Imagine for a minute that I am an evil person intent on doing evil things to
the graphics community that shunned me...

I whip out my C compiler, write some code to format your hard drive, and
call it "CoolDemo.exe".

To make sure you run it I will post as "Ken" or "Rune" or some other name
you know and trust.  Remember how easy it was to choose the name you want to
be known as in this group?  Its just as easy to change it.  I know the
posting details won't match, but who really looks at them?

So now you've got something called "CoolDemo.exe" that appears to be posted
by an upstanding citizen of this forum.

NAV will not detect a virus in this program because it does not contain a
virus.  It was designed to format your harddrive and will do exactly that.

If you run it you are toast.  When was your last backup?

NEVER DOWNLOAD OR RUN .EXE FILES UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE OF THE SOURCE AND
CONTENTS.