POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh? : Re: Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Oct 2000 00:12:35
Message: <39dea2b3@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Calimet" <pov### [at] freefr> wrote...

> I guess it's mainly the second. Just add a "hierarchy off" to
> a big mesh and you will see a great saving of memory but a never-ending
> rendering. Mesh are fast to render because the triangles are sorted and
> the bounding-boxes put in a tree (octree ?). Unfortunately they are
> also much longer to parse than an equivalent union of triangles

Try mesh2.  Mesh objects save memory by making vertex & edge lists.  This
means that vertices are shared by adjacent triangles, so duplicates are
removed.  This removal of duplicates can take some time during parsing.  The
mesh2 object doesn't have to remove duplicates because it takes the edge and
vertex as its parameters and does not need to construct them.  Mesh2 objects
should parse very quickly.

-Nathan