POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1] : Re: Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1]
From: Data
Date: 3 Oct 2000 21:46:08
Message: <39da8be0@news.povray.org>
"Jamie Davison" wrote.
> I think I need to work on my descriptive abilities <grin>
>
> Anyway, this is a sort of variation on the rolling sphericon as posted by
> KalleK a while back (on the 12th of September, to be precise)
>
> I've had the concave base object on my HDD since shortly after I saw the
> original, but I decided to see if I could manage the rolling sphere
> (there's a plain white texture on it so I wouldn't have to try and figure
> out the appropriate rotations to prevent it looking like it was
> 'sliding') and it was easier than I thought it would be.

If you're looking extremely closely, there's a faint bluish line on the
ball, but it's moving so fast I can't see it except at the start and finish
(Media Player is giving a brief pause at the replay). Well done (far beyond
my abilities!)

> Oh, and I've got another version, but in that one, the ball stays still
> and the base object rotates.

I'd be interested to see :)

> And I think I've managed to get this one to loop properly.  At least it
> does on my machine without stuttering.

Yep. I know it's my machine (slow) that's causing the fraction of a second
pause I get. Does it with every clip

Hrm, now I'm tempted to post my creation (even if it is a basic construct,
spinning in space). Anyone?