POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alpha Channel and Antialiasing : Re: Alpha Channel and Antialiasing Server Time
20 Aug 2024 06:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha Channel and Antialiasing
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 2 Oct 2000 11:50:55
Message: <39d8aedf$1@news.povray.org>
"Alexander Enzmann" <xan### [at] mitreorg> wrote in message

| Exactly as it should be - if 50% of the pixel is black (background), and
| 50% is red, then you should have a final pixel that is a dark red.  If
| you don't do that, your final image will always look aliased (jaggy).
|
| POV-Ray (as well as many other programs) uses the first method.  It
| produces images that look correct in typical image viewers.

My commonsensical way of thinking tells me this original idea is to have a
invisible factor, something to antialias with that isn't color at all but in
fact a transparency info layer.  Which is what Alpha Channel seems to
advertise.  Red edge should go semitransparent is all, and when overlayed
later via post process in a piant program for example then the red edges
would be only shades of clear red.
Sorry, I'm just here to blab a little.

Bob