POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Son of YMFWR: extremely low error_bound : Re: Son of YMFWR: extremely low error_bound Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Son of YMFWR: extremely low error_bound
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Sep 2000 11:20:44
Message: <39d4b34c@news.povray.org>
I tried your settings out on my "Arnold" character and it used just 9 megs
for a 320 by 240 image and took only 4 1/2 minutes.  Count was 200,
error_bound 0.0001 (yep, I made it that low), otherwise the same.
I noticed the "radiosity samples calculated" shown in the stats said nearly
99% and it occured to me I usually see 50% there, or around that.  I
commented error_bound out and it showed just 0.45% (bad render too).  Also,
the reused amount was much smaller with the smaller error_bound.
And yes, I could see the differences in your renders although it takes some
scrutiny.
It doesn't seem the pretrace is much of any matter by the time error_bound
is so low but still makes a difference (visually) when using 0.1 on up I'd
say.
The render time was a fraction faster than one using a pretrace start 0.1
pretrace end 0.01.  By "fraction" I mean 5% percent or so.

Bob