POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Recursive Pyramid ~250kb : Re: Recursive Pyramid ~250kb Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Recursive Pyramid ~250kb
From: ian
Date: 29 Sep 2000 09:47:46
Message: <39d49d82@news.povray.org>
Wow, very comprehensive response! Thank-you!

Segmented response needed..

Tor Olav Kristensen wrote in message <39D3E3D5.52209309@hotmail.com>...

>The idea of putting the two reflecting spheres inside
>this fractal like pyramid is nice
>
>I would love to have a closer look at the reflections
>in them.

Much rendertime. :)

>Then about your superfluous pyramids problem:
>
>I think your macro is not the problem. (For me it
>does not seem to generate unnecessary triangles.)
>
>So therefore I think the problem must lie within the
>rest of your code.

The macro is from the internet as noted, and so isn't mine.
The fact that all problems lie in code generated by me is not at all
suprising, sadly enough. :)

>You could try to simplify the rest of your code.

I thought it was simplified?

>I think one error is that your loops are putting multiple
>copies of the last assembled pyramid at some of the
>locations they are translated to (And therefore I
>suspect that the number of unnecessary pyramid
>copies are far more than 512 !)

That is exactly where the problem is.
The problem that generated this problem, is the fact I could not find any
single translation to accomplish this, and could not adjust the others
properly. This probably has something to do with the fact that math isn't my
strongest ability (getting highly irritated at small, insignificant things,
on the other hand..).

>And last:
>What does "untersheisse" mean. Is it german ?

If you classify bad English translated into worse German as such, then, yes.
:)

If the impossible word was used incorrectly enough, it would be something
along the lines of 'sub-sh!t', or more literally 'under poop'. Depending on
usage, 'low pig' is also possible. :p

>It seems for me that most of the rest of your code
>is "doing by hand" what your macro could do for you.

I don't understand the macro enough to modify it.

>Wouldn't a call like this do roughly the same job as
>most of your other lines does ?

If it works, I'll accept that as affirmation.

>#declare Corn =
>mesh {
>  pyramid(SZ*4*y, SZ*4, 0, 8 + 2 + 2 + 2)
>  pigment { color 0.6*White }
>  finish { phong 0.2 }
>  translate 3*(SZ/2 + 5 + 1.25)*<1, 0, 1>
>}

Thats scary. How did you do this?

As far as the optimizations of the translations I used, they made perfect
sense to me, but in their simpler form are confusing.

I generated them visually, by manually placing objects and finding the
appropriate translations. I know what the stuff I typed does, and don't know
how the simplifications were reached.

If I told you I was bad at math, it would warrant a major slapping about the
face, as understatements of that nature should never be made.

I appreciate your modifications very much!

:)
ian