POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Iso Questions - thin and shadowless : Re: Iso Questions - thin and shadowless Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso Questions - thin and shadowless
From: Tom Melly
Date: 29 Sep 2000 09:11:48
Message: <39d49514@news.povray.org>
news:39d4873c@news.povray.org...
> Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> : is there another way to easily keep just a surface
> : skin of an iso?
>
>   Read the documentation. There's an "open" keyword that can be applied to
> the isosurface.

Many thanks, scary-man. That seems to have done it, and resolved the missing
shadow problem into the bargain. I had come across "open" in the docs, but
had failed to realise the significance of it.

BTW, using "open" meant that initially I got two separate surfaces - an
upper and a lower one. Would I be right in thinking that one way of viewing
"open" is that it limits the iso to just those points matching the
threshold, as opposed to <=  to the threshold?

I note that the docs specify that open should not be used in CSG, however it
seems to work okay, as in the example below. The only oddity seems to be the
need to specify rgbf 1 for the differenced plane. Can you clarify any of
this?

Many thanks again.

difference{
  object{isoLayer}