POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : FK via IK walk cycle : Re: FK via IK walk cycle Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FK via IK walk cycle
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 28 Sep 2000 10:00:44
Message: <39d34f0c@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> The feet tilt upward slightly while midway along the ground, so that needs a
> fix.  Also if I remember the physics of biped walking well enough then the
> guy needs to lean forward some to fall onto each foot put forward.

Good point, and a coding headache for the next iteration.

> Are you following any real human walk animations or just going it alone?

I have Muybridge, and consult it frequently.  The size and shape of the body
were based on a Poser renderings of top, bottom, and side; these were used as a
rotoscope during the construction.

> The more true to life you try for is going to be more and more a problem I'd
> think, never ending.  This character certainly has life-like qualities but
> I'm seeing it as a kind of Disney animation right now.  Sorry if that's an
> offensive remark, don't mean it to be.

That all depends on what you think of Disney.   ;)   The only insulting comment
I've gotten recently was when my work inspired someone to say, "Povray is not a
toy."  Maybe some of the Disneyesquity is from the character of the walk.  But
yes, I wouldn't limit myself only to work that is mistakeable for a photograph:
I'm aiming for the Aardman side of Max Steel in my work.   With its blobbiness
(note kneepit) I could use it as sort of a metal man.  Even if it is "only"
Disney-like, I hope that wouldn't prevent me from making cool T-shirts, a public
service ad or a TV commercial that puts $$ in my pocket, or sell my own
Aardman-like movies. These are the highest callings of raytracing, if I may be
politically incorrect in saying so.

> You did those running animations from a year or so ago.  I just looked that
> done in Animation Master.  Must be a whole other world doing these in POV-Ray.

A:M readily lends itself to boning. In order to get a boned-like system in
povray,  a FK construction with some IK math seemed like the best approach.

Yeah, I need another "bone" in the foot, as in A:M  I had a toe bone.  Right now
the *ankle* moves perfectly, but the foot is just a flat board that does not
move intelligently. My April improvements perfectly fixed the issue of ankle
slippage, now I've got an intelligent knee: next project is the toe.  And with
my new math based on FK +IK, I can truly make it *run,*  i.e.,  have the feet
leave the ground and avoid slipping.

Thanks for the advice.