POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction : Re: Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 26 Sep 2000 20:27:45
Message: <39d13f01$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote...

> However, I expected the colors to be unclipped and unmodified, and this
> sounds like a bug...

AFAIK, the float values that the post process filters access are in fact
pre-gamma and pre-clipping.  At least that's what I intended when I wrote
the code... and a quick look at the source code (search for
"Assign_PP_Data") confirms this.  (Assign_PP_Data, which copies all the
post-processing data to the appropriate array, is done between Trace or
Trace_Primary_Ray and the corresponding calls to clip_colour and
gamma_correct.)

Post processing filters also have access to the gamma-corrected, clipped
values (these are the values that most filter writers use).

-Nathan