POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Afghan Sunrise (133K) - problem with star background : Re. Afghan Sunrise (133K) - problem with star background Server Time
20 Aug 2024 06:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re. Afghan Sunrise (133K) - problem with star background
From: sacrofts
Date: 26 Sep 2000 14:12:13
Message: <39d0e6fd@news.povray.org>
> Yes, I tried absorption rgb <1, 0.5, 0> (according to my scattering
rgb<0, 0.5, 1> and reduced this filter, not translucency to 0... but
Earth's surface still
> remains dull and low in contrast! Also in Darcy's tutorial, I didn't
find anything about avoiding this effect... I browsed through the
"finish" section of the
> PoV-Ray manual, but it was also no help to me... is it avoidable at
all or is it an essential deficiency of raytracing?

I'm beginning to wonder whether this effect is what is supposed to
happen to the light as it travels through the simulated atmosphere.  For
a similar scene I'm working on, I'm afraid I cheated and used several
light sources, one the source of the rising sun, another shadowless
light to rim light the atmosphere and a bit of artistic license to add a
second sun into the scene from behind the viewer (well I'm not doing
earth!!) But I guess there's no harm in making use of shadowless lights
in this way.

Maybe some control over the contrast could be gained by using a
color_map on your spherical density, this should simulate a thinning of
the atmosphere from the planet's surface to the atmosphere's edge (index
1.0 on the color_map).

One thing my own image is lacking is a descent glow over the planet's
limb, any ideas?

Steve
website being built:
http://website.lineone.net/~sacrofts/home.htm