POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Noisy thoughts : Re: Noisy thoughts Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noisy thoughts
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 25 Sep 2000 21:45:19
Message: <39cfffaf$1@news.povray.org>
"Tony[B]" <ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote...

> First, off, thank you for trying to improve something even though everyone
> else thinks it's working fine already. This kind of experimentation brings
> new and better things.

Actually, not everyone thinks it's working.  Check out these posts in
povray.bugreports:
"Bug in noise function" dated 8/28/99 by Margus Ramst (this may have been
fixed already)
"Bozo "saturation" problem" dated 5/20/99 by Ron Parker (this is "fixed" in
MegaPov)
"Spotted normal bug (Jerome M. Berger)" dated 11/22/99 by Peter Popov

> The synxtax I see is this: noise {method 0/1/2 fixed_range/range on/off}

Because this sort of thing affects bozo, spotted, wrinkles, turbulence, and
a variety of other aspects of POV, the exact way it should be implemented
may not be this simple.

-Nathan