POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alpha Channel and Antialiasing : Alpha Channel and Antialiasing Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Alpha Channel and Antialiasing
From: Rune
Date: 24 Sep 2000 07:37:38
Message: <39cde782@news.povray.org>
How should POV-Ray antialiase pixels when the alpha channel is used?
I think that it currently behave in an undesirable way.

Example:

(A) I render a white torus on a red background with AA on
    and alpha channel on too.

(B) In a paint program I want to put this background behind
    my POV-Ray image.

(C) Around my white torus there's a red halo - a leftover
    from the red background I originally used. I don't like that.

(D) Instead I think POV-Ray should produce images that works
    this way (like in image D). However, it won't be changed
    because the developers think it's better as it currently is
    (like in image C).

Now I've told you my opinion. What do *you* think? Should it be changed or
not?

Or even better: It could be optional. That should satisfy everyone. (Would
it affect the speed? I don't know.)

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org