POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : New Model : Re: New Model Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:36:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Model
From: Peter Cracknell
Date: 19 Sep 2000 17:48:12
Message: <39c7df1c@news.povray.org>
I'm assuming this was made in Moray.  Interestingly enough I've had a
similar go myself, initially to understand image mapping
(http://website.lineone.net/~pc/images/beetlel.jpg)

I can't give you a tutorial (ken?), but I can say quickly:

planar projection projects an image from a set image thus if you wanted a
imaged cube you would theoreticily need 6 image maps and project them across
different planes.  I would therefore recomend using an orthographics camera
(or close say 1 for viewing angle camera) and position it exactly with the
figures, rendering, saving an TGA or BMP, creating a new image map within a
new material and APPLYING (it took me a little while to work that out).
Using the transformation bit you can position & scale the image (generally
you double the x and y) and then preview.  You will need a layered material
for more than one imagemap - I would recomend having one big one for each
angle and editing the image manually.

I'm not saying this is the easiest way but it works for me.  If you want I
can post (or upload) a zip of the beetle to show how its done.

Peter Cracknell