POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cracked Sphere (~41kbbu) : Re: Cracked Sphere (~41kbbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cracked Sphere (~41kbbu)
From: Richard Dault
Date: 14 Sep 2000 12:38:20
Message: <39c0fefc@news.povray.org>
Wow, thanks for a very detailed explanation.

> There may be two things going on here:-
>
> 1. You're lying about the max_gradient value. In this case the
max_gradient is
> about 24. If you don't actually know the max_gradient value you should use
> "eval" instead, otherwise the result will be incorrect.

I did use eval at one point, but it is possible that I changed something
(more patterns) and forgot to re-eval it.

> You could try increasing the depth of the crack by inverting the colour
map,
> like
>
>   color_map {[0 rgb 0][.5 rgb 0][.5 rgb 1][.505 rgb 1][.505 rgb 0][1 rgb
0]}

> and changing your main function to
>
>   function { ball(x,y,z) + crack(x,y,z)*6 -1 }
[snip]
> Combining all those changes does produce a pair of sheet-like cracks that
can
> be seen to go right through the sphere. It's a bit slow though, and the
> max_gradient shoots up to over 10000 for some reason.

I tried this and got a similar result.  The max_gradient was something like
12000.

It still didn't give me the result I wanted, but that's okay, I decided to
move on since these renders take WAY too long.