POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg] : Re: What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Sep 2000 11:01:46
Message: <39c0e85a@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" <the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
| "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
| > But I think a scorpion has 10 legs.
|
| Well, it should have 8 legs plus the claws. But the interesting thing
about
| insects and arachnids is that they have legs for mouths and legs for sex
| organs and legs for lungs and legs for antennae and legs for eyes (using a
| wide definition for 'legs')

Or creepy, guess it depends on your point of view.

| http://www.york.biosis.org/zrdocs/zoolinfo/zoolinfo.htm
|
|     ...has good pictures at the link below...
|
| http://www.york.biosis.org/zrdocs/zoolinfo/grp_arac.htm#Scorpiones

This was a great reference to see, thanks Bill.  I found only one that
looked similar enough to the ones I see around here:
http://wrbu.si.edu/www/stockwell/photos/v_globosus.jpg
It's too glossy though.  Would need to be duller and more brown on the body,
tail, and forelimbs(?);  I couldn't call those legs since they act more like
arms with claw hands.
Far as numbers of things go I was counting tail and body segments on all the
pictures I looked at and they remain the same for each kind.  6 for the tail
and 7 for the body (less 1 for the head I guess), and even though they all
look about the same their sizes and shapes of tails and claws vary a lot.
Really interesting stuff.   In a way.
I was way off on the leg orientations, need to lay flatter to the ground.

Bob