POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pov Logo. Any thoughts? : Re: Pov Logo. Any thoughts? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov Logo. Any thoughts?
From: Rune
Date: 9 Sep 2000 16:51:57
Message: <39baa2ed@news.povray.org>
"25ct" wrote:
> What do you think?

Your logo is very nice, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite follow the rules in
its current state. Some small changes might help it though! :-)

The logo must work well in just black and white, with no shades of grey
(except for anti-aliasing).
Your logo seems to be quite reliant on the shades of grey (and the small b/w
version you posted had indeed shades of grey). How does it look in just
black and white?

It seems to me like you have made a logo in 3D with some nice effects, and
then made a 2D black and white version afterwards. But generally when making
logos it's better to start with making the simple 2D black and white logo,
and then add all the interesting effects afterwards.

I have just updated the logo section of my website. You can find more info
there.
http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/logo/logo.html
or if the above link doesn't work, try
http://hjem.get2net.dk/rsj/logo/logo.html

Here are some suggestions:

The basic design idea is fine, but try to simplify the design.

Instead of using a lens-flare (which require shades of grey), try using a
simple star-shape, or maybe a simple sphere will even do. Something simple
that works in black and white.

The depth to the letters doesn't work well when they're completely white
anyway (in the b/w version), Try making the letters 2D.

A starry background is not very good in a logo. Stars are small details that
easily disappear at small resolutions. Also, with a starry BG, the logo has
a kind of science fiction feeling to it. It would be better if it was more
neutral so the logo could be given many different "feelings".

Remove the rectangular frame around the logo. Logos are not fine pieces that
should be framed, they are simple symbols that should float independently in
the air! :-)

All of the suggestions are of course my personal opinions only. Hope you can
use them...

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)