POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lightning (3 pics 30kbu) : Re: Lightning (3 pics 30kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning (3 pics 30kbu)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 8 Sep 2000 13:52:52
Message: <39b92774$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote in
message news:39B8D89E.A28789A8@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de...

| -The shape looks good, but the decrease in width is too strong IMO (in
many
| cases, the width/brightness of a lightning stays quite constant during the
path)
| -It would be good to have the color fading from white to black/darkblue at
the
| edges. (you seem to use objects for the lightning, so this is probbaly not
that
| easy)

I concur.  This would do well for cloud to cloud lightning but in the case
of cloud to ground it should probably have a near constant main bolt.  If a
large diffuse and lower ambient is used the edges will fade but since that's
light source dependant that could not work right.  Transparency could be
used along with a strong highlight but once again is too dependant on
external light.
Tony's idea to use media is possibly the best answer I can think of too.

Bob