POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Glowing Space Explosion : Re: Glowing Space Explosion Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:39:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing Space Explosion
From: Rune
Date: 7 Sep 2000 18:07:36
Message: <39b811a8@news.povray.org>

Ken wrote:
> I never really accepted that those were bugs. I think of the
> changes that Nathan made as design changes since they completely
> broke backward compatibility with past versions of the program.

I consider it bugs indeed. I think I was one of the first to complain about
the strange way the normals worked. When scaling objects, the normals
changed. For example, in the scenes where I used Blob_Man I had to scale my
whole scene to fit Blob_Man rather than just scaling Blob_Man, because if I
scaled Blob_Man his skin and clothed looked all wrong. That's very annoying,
very unintuitive, and very inconsistent, and therefore I consider it a bug.
I don't think the broken backward compatibility makes it less a bug - on the
contrary. Since the bug affected practically all scenes using normals I
consider it a *major* bug. The bug was so big that the bug-fix had to brake
backward compatibility.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org