POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : September Moon WIP (104 K) : Re: September Moon WIP (104 K) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: September Moon WIP (104 K)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Sep 2000 12:04:42
Message: <39b66b1a@news.povray.org>
"Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote in message
| An old scene that some might still remember. I recently found some
inspiration
| and decided to resume work on it.
| Comments/suggestions would be appreciated; for example what do you think
about
| the texture of the cliff-face, the sky, and the cloud? Also, striking a
balance
| between too dark and too bright is problematic in a night scene, does it
look OK
| on your monitor?

Yeah, I remember this one because of the long discussion about moonlit scene
colors :-)
It looks fine here on my screen, just took a while for it to soak in; one of
those kinds of scenes I guess that take some time to know what you're
seeing.  The cloud looks great.
I'd have to say that the moonlight should be brighter in the reflection,
very near the same intensity as the Moon itself.  But then that the stars
might not show at all due to the small perturbations on the water surface.
That's only because those waves seem prominent and distant enough to imply
there is enough disturbance to prevent the tiny specks of stars from being
visible.  In fact the moon reflection sort of proves that out.  I could be
very wrong though.  Simply that the only times I can recall actually seeing
stars reflected in water is from rather close up.
Oh, another thing.  The Moon appears greenish to me (I know, I tend to see
green a lot as some people might know) instead of the usual low-in-the-sky
yellow, orange, or reddish color.  Clear air or not I'd expect it to be more
yellow-white if nothing else.  Although I've ended up with a blue moon
before so I can't judge well  :-)

Bob