POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : is radiosity (MP) really necessary? [tot~80KB Jpg] : Re: is radiosity (MP) really necessary? [tot~80KB Jpg] Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is radiosity (MP) really necessary? [tot~80KB Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Sep 2000 11:39:13
Message: <39b66521@news.povray.org>
"Xplo Eristotle" <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote in message

| Set the sky ambient to 1 and diffuse to 0.

Well, you are saying the opposite there from my experiences with the MegaPov
kind.  Perhaps you are talking of official POV-Ray though.

| >          count 100 // or 50 // may be too low
|
| Unless hyper-accurate shadowing is a necessity, and I don't see why it
| would be for this scene, error_bound will be just fine between 0.6 and
| 1. Count 50 is plenty; a high count is best when you have small, bright
| objects, or a very "noisy" scene, but you have a relatively simple one
| with an entire lit hemisphere. You could even go down to 30. Set the
| low_error_factor to 1, you're not going to need it (in my testing, it's
| pretty useless). Recursion_limit 1 is plenty, I wouldn't mess with the
| minimum_reuse, and brightness could go as high as 1.667 or so.
|
| You could even set pretrace_start to .01 if you want to shave an extra
| several seconds off; I haven't found that multiple passes help, provided
| that the one pass you DO use is fine enough.
|
| Try that and see how it goes. :)

Yep, I'll check another render out using your advice.  What I did was to use
the recent radiosity settings Mike Hough and others had been using for those
smoothed shadowed hemispherically lit Arnold-like things, figuring if it was
good enough for that....
The main point I wanted to make is how a radiosity rendering could
potentially be worthless compared to a much speedier rendering.  I mean 16
times slower than a comparable radiosity render (5.25 hours vs. 1/3 hour!)
with recursion at 1 is no doubt all in vain.  It's sure to vary greatly
scene to scene but I think people should be made aware.  The general rule of
small test renders always applies.

Thanks for the helpful hints.

Bob