POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : max_trace_level problem : Re: max_trace_level problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level problem
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Sep 2000 09:11:10
Message: <39b4f0ee$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39B4822D.7FBB1B3E@usb.ve> , Alberto <jac### [at] usbve>  wrote:

> I've got a problem in rendering this scene in Smellenbergh's unofficial
> MegaPov.5a. The program quits and an "error of type 2 occurred" message
> appears. I use an iMac under MacOS 8.1
>
> I tested the same file under the official version 3.1g.r2 and could set
> the max_trace_level up to 90 having no trouble.

At some point the stack is going to overflow.  At least the official version
has some internal checking to prevent this from happening.

There is nothing wrong with your scene, just the max_trace_level is to high
(there is no warning because the maximum depends on a lot of factors).

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde