POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Please vote my next project ! : Re: Please vote my next project ! Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please vote my next project !
From: GrimDude
Date: 31 Aug 2000 02:40:34
Message: <39adfde2@news.povray.org>
Actually, there are several P-38's being restored at a field in Kentucky (I
think it is). They were recovered from Greenland under more then 100 feet of
ice. The recovery process was documented in a PBS special titled "The Lost
Squadron." Some (perhaps most) of the aircraft, and a B17 too, are still
under the ice. Recovery of the P-38's cost a cool (heh) million a piece. It
was stated that the B17 was so heavily crushed by the weight of the ice that
it would be infeasible to recover it, though most of the 38's were in good
shape.

If, you get a chance, check it out. The "mole" process they used during
extraction was quite ingenious.

Grim