POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighthouse scene again, w. water, beach [~42K Jpg] : Re: Lighthouse scene again, w. water, beach [~42K Jpg] Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighthouse scene again, w. water, beach [~42K Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 28 Aug 2000 08:24:30
Message: <39aa59fe@news.povray.org>
"Steve" <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] zero-ppslocaldomain...

| Thankyou Bob for bringing some sanity back to this place.

Glad to oblige (?)

| This is really looking good now, but a few things:
|
| a) the landscape and it's transitions look very gradual/flat, not what I'd
|    usually associate with the location of a lighthouse.

No doubt the lack of vegetation objects instead of this textured HF alone.  It's 40
POV units above
sea level, using 1 unit = 1 ft.  If you look at the picture I'm basing this view on
you'll see it
also seems flat, or so I think it does anyway, trees or not.  BTW, I need to get that
island in
there too.

| b) The red rooves could do with some tiles or boards to break them up a bit,
|    I think this one change would add so much to the image.

All they have now is a brick normal just so they weren't without anything.  It didn't
help.

| c) Those red rooves again, the perspective seems a bit wrong, maybe caused
|    by the old enemy of ambient light, the roof of the out-building furthest
|    away from the camera looks asthough it's right on top of the closest
|    red roof, but when looking at the walls of these buildings and the ground
|    you can see that they are some distance apart.

Figuring out the placements is total guesswork for me, I don't know why they weren't
aligned to
begin with when built.  Puzzled me.  But I think a lot of the perception is caused by
camera
position and zoom angle.

| d) The horizon looks too flat and too sharp if that makes any sense, maybe
|    could be fixed by bumping up the ground fog a bit or something like that.

The ground fog I used is very thin, I wondered about that myself.  Like, should it be
hazy or
should it be very clear?  Tough choice but clearness never seems right somehow.

| Thanks for the inspiration Bob, for the last 3 hours I've been trying to decide
| weather to work on my CGI scrip or work on my almost complete POV scene, so POV
| it will be.

Heck yeah, work (play?) with POV-Ray a while.  CGI probably has a less rewarding
outcome, I don't
know.  Thanks for those comments.

Bob