POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test : Re: The Solution! (Re: Cloud test) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Solution! (Re: Cloud test)
From: GrimDude
Date: 28 Aug 2000 04:15:02
Message: <39aa1f86@news.povray.org>
"Nick Portelli" <por### [at] pilotmsuedu> wrote in message
> Why are image maps so frowned upon in the POV community?  Almost all of
> the big wig renderers use them solely.

It's not the image maps (a valid texturing process after all), but the
images (photos). Photographs should hold only a *very* minor role in any
rendering, particularly in the IRTC, where you want to set your work apart
from all the others. Image maps should be used *only* when nothing else will
do (as the Pov docs state). :)

There are a million valid uses for image maps, even in the IRTC. I would
not, however, use one as in this scene. I intend no offense upon Simon. I am
merely stating my opinion and advice.

Nothing says the big wig renderers are doing anything right. Those guys get
you hooked on image mapping, so they can sell you expensive texture
libraries. Thank the Pov gurus that you have procedural functionality!

Oops, inspiration has struck again. Ciao!

Grim