POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test : Re: Pigmenting Clouds Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigmenting Clouds
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 27 Aug 2000 20:27:07
Message: <39a9b1db@news.povray.org>
Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
> I've looked at other people's cloud techniques, and they all use 3-d to
generate
> 3-d looking clouds. Some use media, or isosurfaces, or stacked planes, but
all use
> actuall objects.
[snip]
> I'm attaching a test image I made before I gave up on this technique, due
to time
> limitations. It's a very early image, with no pseudo-3-d effects, but it
shows how
> pigments can be used to create the shape of distant thunderclouds. It's
all one
> pigment, generated with the 'pigment control trick' and MegaPov's spline.

Yes, I think this method does hold a lot of promise.  A while ago I put
together a few animations of various types of clouds, which do include
sun-shading (see the Current Projects page at
http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/projects.html).  The code is all quite
basic POV 3.1, and I've parametised most aspects of the clouds.  I think the
trick is to find pigments that look effective at high resolutions...