POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The form : Re: The form Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The form
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 26 Aug 2000 21:14:16
Message: <39a86b68@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message

| Actually, I think Mars would be fourth, after Earth, Jupiter and Venus.
| Saturn would be one of the easiest...

Don't forget that Uranus is perhaps the easiest of all, having virtually no
features.  A plain ordinary pigment { rgb <.7,.9,.85> }  would probably
suffice (I didn't check real color data, of course).

The thing that gets in the way of using image maps alone is the changing
features, cloud covered planets and moons can't be animated in compressed
time if using only a image map.  Makes procedural texturing a necessity
then.  Even Jupiter's Moon Io is changing constantly and that's all surface
there.
But you just can't beat image maps for simplicity and guaranteed good looks,
IMHO.

Bob