POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:32:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: IMBJR
Date: 26 Aug 2000 17:49:33
Message: <39a83b6d@news.povray.org>
Jamie Davison wrote in message ...
>On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:34:01 +0100, IMBJR wrote...
>> >I don't know how anybody else feels about this, but I think you would
get a
>> >better response if you posted your work at staged intervals, say one a
day,
>> >instead of dumping them all in the group.
>>
>> This news server (news.povray.org) seems to have pretty deep pockets. I
am
>> currently downloading the entire contents of povray.binaries.images and I
>> noted that the earliest post is from about July 1998. So even if I did
>> release my material in staged intervals it would all still be available
for
>> download at some point, leaving the individual browser the option of
>> downloading in staged intervals. Remember, no one is forcing you to
download
>> these images.
>
>Could you please remember that there are people out there in the big wide
>world who only have modem access, and who have to pay their online phone
>charges on a per minute basis.

Yes I do remember, I am one of them and I do not count myself as rich. If
you're dedicated to something you make time and allowance for it. Remember:
no one is asking you to download the posts.

>Personally for this amount of work, I would find a set of links to a
>webpage holding the animations preferable.

True, but I prefer the Usenet aproach to exhibition. I treat my website as
an archive of my best work.

>I'm not trying to be insulting, honest...  It's just that in order for me
>to grab the rest of my news today in less than two hours (OK, so that's
>an exaggeration, sue me) I had to stop my download and delete all of the
>headers for your animations.

Fair enough, but it's not exactly the hardest thing to do to "diet" one's
news consumption. Some groups I subscribe to have very large posts in them,
but I skip past them. Why do people not take the time to ensure they are not
going to excede whatever time/money budget they have allowed themselves? All
it takes is a quick log-on, grab all the available headers, log-off, mark th
e ones suitable for download, log back on, and download said headers. I'm
sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but it's a very simple thing to do.
If you don't want to look, don't look.

>Bye for now,

Fair well!